New Stream Software and HumanWare Companion Released
HumanWare is pleased to announce a new version 3.4.6 free software upgrade to the Stream as well as a maintenance release version 3.5.6 for the HumanWare Companion. The instructions for updating and the list of new features follow.
1. Update Instructions for the Stream Using HumanWare Companion The easiest way to update your Stream is to use the free HumanWare Companion. If you have the HumanWare Companion version 3.4 or later then it can be used to update your Stream as follows:
· First connect your Stream to your computer, or if your computer has an SD card reader, then insert the SD card into it.
· Go to the Help menu of the Companion and choose the item to check for Stream update. The Companion will display the Stream 3.4 Release Notes which you can review and then choose the Install button. The new software will download and Companion will unzip the software file and place it on your SD card.
· Return the SD card to the Stream and connect the Stream to AC power.
· Power it on and it will automatically update to the new version which takes about 1 minute during which time you will hear periodic progress messages.
Note: If Companion fails to detect that v3.4 is available for your Stream then please use the same Help Menu to check for the HumanWare Companion upgrade. The new Companion 3.5.6 is a maintenance release that corrects this issue. After your Companion is upgraded, repeat the above instructions and the new version 3.4.6 for your Stream should be detected.
2. Update Instructions for the Stream Using Web Download If you do not have the Companion then Stream version 3.4 may be downloaded from:
To update your Stream:
Download the software zip file from HumanWare at the above link.
Unzip the .UPG file and copy it to the root of an SD card. Note that you do not need to install special unzip software. Windows will unzip the UPG file. Simply press ENTER on the zip file and the UPG file will appear.
Then press the SPACEBAR to select the UPG file and press CONTROL+C to copy it to the clipboard. Then navigate to the root of your Stream SD card and press CONTROL+V to paste the UPG file from the clipboard to the root of the SD card.
Connect the Stream to a power outlet and power it on.
The software update will start automatically. The installation process takes about 1 minute during which time the Stream will issue progress messages. The Stream will announce when the update is complete and then it will power off.
When you power the Stream back on you can confirm the new version number by pressing the INFO key 0.
3. New Features
· Time Remaining in Section: On the key 5 Where Am I for DAISY and NISO and Audible books a new message at the end announces the time remaining for the current section. When you press key 5, you will hear the % complete of the entire book followed by the page and heading number followed by the heading name and then the new message announcing the time remaining in that section. Have you ever wondered how much time remains in the current chapter? Just press key 5 and Stream will tell you.
· Go To Time Feature For DAISY Books: This new navigation will help navigate DAISY books that have little or no mark-up for chapters or sections which is the case for some books converted from cassette to DAISY.
· Time Not Available Message: The Stream announcement of time elapsed and time remaining in a DAISY book requires that the book be marked with internal time elapsed tags. For DAISY books without these time tags the Stream will now announce that time elapsed and time remaining are not available. Similarly, for those books the GoTo Time new feature will not be available.
· Search Music: On the GOTO key in music there is now a Search option.
When you enter the search the number pad will be in multi-tap text entry mode and you can enter a search phrase to find within any of your folder/file names in your music structure. If the search text is found within a folder name you will be positioned at the first song within that folder. Once you find the search text the search navigation level will be added to the up/down rotation so you can then use keys 4/6 to do a find previous/next on that same search phrase.
· Music Temporary Playlist: For music temporary playlist Stream will now return you to that playlist if you power off and power back on.
· Cancel Opening of Music Bookshelf: You can Cancel the opening of the All Music or Music playlists. For example, if you have a large Music bookshelf and power off then when you power back on Stream will automatically start opening the All Music bookshelf again. If you want to go to another bookshelf you can press Cancel without having to wait for the Music to open.
· Cancel Opening Large Text File: Similarly, for opening of large text files. You can cancel the opening of those files so you don't have to wait if you don't need the file.
· Multiple Time Jumps: In the key 7 Menu you can now enable more than one Time Jump interval for the up/down rotation. If you want no Time Jump then disable all of them.
· Faster Note Browsing: When browsing the Notes folder Stream no longer announces the word, "Note". Thus, it is more responsive when moving from note to note because you will hear your recorded message a little sooner.
· Stream Tone control for Talking Books, Other Books, Audible, Podcasts, and Notes now uses the new tone algorithm from the Victor Reader Stratus
· Accented Characters in Playlist: An issue in music playlists (m3u) that caused a Book Error 7 message for filenames with accented letters has been corrected.
· FB2 Files (Russia): Stratus will now recognize FB2 text file types used in Russia. They will be played as XML files.
· Russian RTF: An issue with Russian RTF files has been corrected.
HumanWare remains committed to the Stream and its customers. We appreciate your valuable feedback which has been essential in our efforts to provide the continuous improvements to the product. Please enjoy this latest update for your Stream
The HumanWare Team